Saturday 22 November 2008

Friday Cookout..

I was bored and it has been a while since I had time all to myself with no classes in the evening. So I did what I love best and that was to cook!

I made the Dutch Winter Stew from Dutch Girl Cooking, with a few variations made. We don't have celeriac here in Singapore, I think I used turmeric powder instead of curry powder and also I used normal paprika instead of the sweet one. The whole thing took about 2 hours to make from scratch and it was really good. I think I will add half curry and half turmeric powder the next time I make thing. Also, rubbing the meat with coarse mustard gives it a whole new depth to the taste.

Here are some pics I took.


Ingredients used.
Leek
Potatoes
Carrots
Mushrooms
Garlic
Onions
Thyme (I used dry cos there weren't any fresh ones available)
Paprika
Turmeric powder
Bay Leaf
Beef shin
Salt and pepper


The meat, cut into cubes and marinated with salt, pepper and coarse mustard.


Melting some butter in olive oil, so the butter doesn't burn.


Browning the meat.


Onions added.


Carrots goes in next.


Add in some beer, room temperature.


Then some beef stock (I used chicken cause I realised I did not have any beef stock cubes at home).

Simmer at a very low heat for about an hour. Add potatoes and leeks and cook for another 30 mins you have yourself a yummy hearty stew... =)

Sorry I forgot to take picture of the end product, was just too hungry for that. Plus I had a movie date with someone. =P

Thats about it I guess.. Dun really know what to say but enjoy your Sunday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment